Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday's Christmas Gift to Me

Why is it so hard to NOT spend money this time of year? It doesn't matter how much money we have (or don't have), we feel like we need to spend it.
This year, my family is making 90% of our Christmas gifts. Everything from jewelry pouches to blankets to ragdolls will be lovingly wrapped in home-made wrapping paper and given to our loved ones. And yet, I look at our depleting bank account and wonder why we feel it's necessary to spend so much more money during this season. We have bought extra groceries, more Christmas decorations, and some gifts. Which may not seem like a "lot", but that's kinda the point. Our society would not think of these few things as a "LOT". But from January to October, do I ever spend that much on groceries, decorations or gifts? Nope. Not even close.
And then on the flip side, if I don't go out and buy this extra food/baked good ingredients, I feel like I'm ripping my kids off! No Christmas cookies? No Thanksgiving feast? No way. And decorations...well we have to have new ones for each year! It's a tradition! And gifts... isn't it every parent's hope that their kids will open that gift on Christmas morning and squeal with delight?! How can we rob ourselves of that opportunity?! Unfortunately, a hand-made pillow or blanket doesn't seem to have the same effect as a video game, or Disney babydoll. Just sayin'.



I guess all-in-all I feel like there should be a balance. That we should celebrate the birth of our savior Jesus Christ in a way that honors him. We should be smart about our finances. If your budget allows for extras and store-bought Christmas gifts for all...then by all means, go for it! And make sure you keep me on your "nice" list! But if you are like me, and you are living paycheck-to-paycheck, don't stress. You are not alone! Get creative and make sure you have time and energy to put into your seasonal extras! That time and money will equal less spending and more pride in your creations. Believe me!
I really feel blessed that I was not able to do the normal Black Friday shopping today. Every year, I finish my shopping on this day. But this year I bought only a couple things from Wal-mart and most of my Christmas shopping was done in my craft corner. In addition to saving money, it's been so wonderful spending extra time with my children making all of your goodies.

PS If you want to know, I can make blogs in the future telling how I made the following goodies:
Jewelry pouches, rag dolls, fleece no-sew blankets, no-sew pillows, Christmas Cards, calendars, cookies, brownies, pies, cakes, and chocolate torte.

1 comment:

Alexia said...

I've been super careful with what I get the boys this year. I don't want them to ever see Christmas as a time to get stuff.

It's important, to me, that the boys understand what Christmas is really all about. And that it's more important to give than to get.