Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pray for Obama, but don't use Psalms 109:8


I know I'm not the only one upset by this whole Psalms 109/Obama thing! If you need a rundown, here is my version of what I know....
Some Christians thought it would be a good/witty/funny idea to use the Bible verse Psalms 109:8 following a call to pray for our president, Barack Obama. As I understand it, this has been used on bumper stickers, t-shirts, and the like. If you don't "get" it, here is the verse as it is written in the Bible nearest to my chair.

"Let his days be few;
Let another take his office." NASB




There are 2 "short" points I would like to make about this play on the Word of God.

1. As a rule of thumb, it's always good to read the verse before and after a verse in order to understand a bit about the context of that verse. (of course, I would recommend reading as much as possible in order to really understand the passage) Following this rule of thumb, we read Psalms 109:7-9:

"When he is judged, let him come forth guilty,
And let his prayer become sin.
Let his days be few;
Let another take his office.
Let his children be fatherless
And his wife a widow."

As I read verse 9, I immediately became enraged. There are people out there, who are proclaiming the Gospel in this manner?! Even as a joke, this is SICK. I wish NO person the pain and agony of being fatherless, or a widow! And neither should you! Whether you like our president or not, please remember that he is indeed the leader of our country and deserves respect, prayers, and support. Furthermore, it is terrifying to think of the massive chaos that would follow the death of our president (no matter who he was). On to number two...

2. I would not be able to word this next point better than this person, so I will link to his blog. In a nutshell, he explains the context of Psalms 109. As you read the chapter, it will quickly become apparent that those using this verse are actually quoting a part of the Bible that would contradict their point.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/11/22/807165/-The-Real-Irony-of-Psalms-109

What's your stance on this Psalms 109/Obama thing?

4 comments:

Thomas Cass said...

I think Its disgusting and totally disrespectfull towards our elected leader, Doesnt the bible say to repect your leaders or whatever, I know some people have ideological disagreements with some of the democrats policies and stances, but Obama I think truly cares about the people and wants to make meaningfull changes for us, not just for his rich croney friends..anyway..I think that shirt is stupid.

Unknown said...

You know my opinion on it ;)

Nice post.

Salena Lynn said...

Seriously...who is going to be 100% happy with any president we have? Might as well just suck it up. No reason to make stupid crap like that. I agree, totally not Christian-like at all.

Anonymous said...

Okay!!! Where are the real SAVED folk! Not just Christians, SAVED folk.
If you read the bible and read that scripture and its entirety then everyone would know that Obama doesn't have to worry God has his back! I am sick and tired of people always trying to run other people affairs. If you can do a better job then darn it get out there and run. Barack Obama has not done any better or any worse than the other presidents we have had and he has only been in office a short time and the past presidents have been in there repeatedly and everyone complained about them. This is the harshes anyone has ever been to a president and I think it is very cruel and down right mean.