Saturday, August 21, 2010

Internet Job Hunting For Dummies

I'm not going to pretend that I'm a job-hunting guru, but I have been a bit obsessed with finding the right job lately. Now that it appears I have the job(s) that I need/want, I would hate to think that my new-found internet-job-searching-agility would just go to waste! So here are some of my hints, tips and tricks for job hunting in the new millenium.

#1 Pump it up! (oh yes, you read that 80's reference alright) You think it's just a piece of paper, but it's really a florescent-lit marquee that displays, "Jane Doe, the next best thing for your company!" or screams, "delete this email and call that girl that emailed the pumped-up resume!"

#2 Surf the web. Don't stress about finding the perfect job right away, just take some time to familiarize yourself with the way that employers search for employees. Look up examples of good resumes, cover letters, and emails. Use this time to get a good handle on the job-hunting situation where you live and in your career field.

#3 Pick your top 3 websites. Or top 4. Just have a few that you are a comfortable using. Figure out how to make the best of all the tools the site(s) provide (including posting your resume, filling out education/skills forms, and setting up your email for job alerts). You will learn how to search using many different criteria (or maybe none at all) which can help you find that perfect job that you never knew you always wanted. Once familiarized with these top sites, you will be more confident and relaxed while job hunting. It will become a part of your daily life that you might even miss once you find your dream job...or not.

#4 Don't apply for everything. I know all the books and articles tell you to apply for it all because it takes 1,329,839 applications to get an interview...blah, blah, blah. Although I agree that it takes hundreds of applications to get a few interviews, I advocate NOT applying for everything. Even jobs that have the right pay and job description might be a no-no until you research them further. This is the world wide web, and with that comes an all-access pass to your personal information. When you are on a job-finder site, click on "All Jobs" or "All Postings" and scan through the listings. Do you see XYZ Company listed 456 times in a row for different jobs, everything from ChildCare to CEO? That's a scam, or at the very least, a bad idea. Make sure the company you are applying for is legit.

That being said, many legit companies don't post information for the same reason we don't want to send it out...so my next piece of advice is the most important of all...

#5 Trust your instinct. You're not a dummy (I know, because you are reading my blog), so use those God-given nudges for good.

So those are my top five pieces of advice for job searching 2010. If you have some tid-bits of wisdom, please share it so we can all benefit! I will post my favorite job hunting sites below in case you are interested.

Job finding sites:


No comments: