Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School


Back to school, back to school!

I'm pretty stoked about this year! I have a good feeling that the kids are going to have a fun and very productive 1st and 3rd grade.

I look at this picture and I'm in awe. Do you see what I see? Do you see that over 4' tall young man standing there with his sling-backpack and Avatar teeshirt? What about that little darling with the long, golden hair and the prettiest little smile you ever did see? You see that too? Oh man, am I ever going to have trouble with these two in a few years...
Speaking of that, this young
man is officially over 1/2 way through elementary school! In under 3 years, he will be a 6th grader/middle-schooler/pre-teen and all that those terms entail.
Don't I get a say in this?!








And what about this angel? She is no longer a frightened Kindergardener crying for Mommy on her first day of school. Today she lept from the vehicle and skipped her way down the sidewalk, shouting to all her friends (a.k.a. every child within a 2 block radius). She is vibrant and lovely and working on becoming the best 1st grader Boyd Elementary has ever had!

These two kids came home this afternoon with stories about friends with names like Imogen and De'Shawn and shared horror stories about homework assignments awaiting them in their backpacks. They giggled over jokes told by their new teachers and debated over who had recess first. Josh and I were held as a captive audience while these precious children grew up right before our eyes. How can it be that these children who can read and write, who have so many friends and are able to spend a whole day on their own facing spelling tests and gym class are the same children we held in our arms moments ago?

Time has taught me something valuable...don't take it for granted.


3 comments:

Meg said...

Did you cry your eyes out?? I have two years left until Danny goes to school, but I dread it every day!

Katrina said...

Love this!!!! Love the pictures, love the people, and love the moment!

Mom.

Kristy said...

It does go by far too fast, and I often wish I had the power to go back and do a lot of things over. Fix some mistakes, sure, but mostly because I loved raising my kids. :)